As an avid podcast listener selecting my five faves can be tough, but here goes!
1. After Hours — Three Harvard Business School professors chat about three current, business-related topics the way they would “after hours.” Stuffy? Quite the opposite. This astute bunch makes their weekly discussion accessible, relatable and super fun!
2. New York Times Book Review — Hosted by New York Times Book Review editor Pamela Paul, this Friday listen offers a mix of author interviews, critic reviews and publishing news. My favorite segment — “What We and the Wider World Are Reading” — features a few of their writers chatting about the “just for fun” book they’re reading that week. It’s like being a fly on the wall of the exclusive book club every bookworm wants to belong to!
3. Bon Appetit Foodcast — If you don’t cook (like me) don’t assume you need to skip this one. The Wednesday podcast is less about cooking and more about food. There’s a mix of interviews with chefs and restauranteurs, discussions with Bon Appetit test kitchen chefs complete with tips about featured recipes and theme-based shows focused on broad topics like grilling or rice (not kidding). Plan to chuckle out loud when host Adam Rapoport banters with Carla and Gabe.
4. The Happiness Lab — The simple cover graphic for this podcast so aptly captures the essence of this podcast. Yale professor Dr. Lori Santos kicks off each week explains basic psychology concepts in the most pleasant, unassuming and non-condescending way. You’ll learn something and possibly even be inspired to make changes in your life in order to be happier!
5. Hit Parade — Only host Chris Molanphy can make seemingly random and obscure music knowledge totally engaging! Every month, he focuses on a time period, artist or theme and guides the listener on a melodious journey (complete with music clips of course). I always end up downloading new (or forgotten) songs after every episode!
Note: I intentionally did not include news or political podcasts in this list. The Daily (NY Times), Minute Briefing (Wall Street Journal), Today Explained (Vox), Deconstructed (The Intercept), and Pod Save America (Crooked Media) top that list!
Share your favorite podcasts with a comment.